17 May 2006

Jobs, Jobs, Jobs




It's summer,

I could be basking in the Minnesotan sunlight or kicking back to the "Great Gatsby" on my back porch... Instead I choose to get lost in downtown Minneapolis 6 times, almost kill myself and several pedestrians, run a stop sign while on the phone and brake a parking meter... all for the price of a summer job.

OK, So I'm supposed to meet this Director of Photography in a bar in Mpls. I don't know what he looks like, I've spoken to him once on the phone and am not completely certain that he isn't going to kill me and steal my blood to feed his midget vampires. So, I park and I have no change. I walk over to the bar, ask for 3 dollars in quarters while these 7 foot tall bikers mumble and grumble about their exhaust pipes. I put the change in my meter and I see the time increase more and more... then, FAIL. What? Ok, So, now that my meter has failed, I walk across the street and over to Cuzzy's where I am meeting this mysterious cinematographer. I walk in once again, immediately blinded by incredibly low level of light. I wander through the few people inside and walk up to a table of strangers, asking for this guy. I ask, wait, they look, turn, then react. "Nick! Hey man, sit down!" Feeew, I wipe my brow. I hope they didn't see the basketball sized pit stains on my nifty collared shirt.

So I sit, more come. I am introduced. I feel both terrified and tremendous at home at the same time. These people talk of camera angles, actors, sets, stunts, props, damn I love this! Then, the cinematographer leans in, "Nick, how about you work with me full time this summer at my production company...It'd be full time, paid and a lot of fun... whadoya say?" I get up, scared screaming, crying and run out of the building. Right. Instead, I choose to say something even more dorky. "Wow, woa, Wowee Mr. No Way! OF course I will!" Stupid! Stupid! I felt like Disney's Goofy stumbling on all my words. Obviously he didn't care because he seemed to like me. In fact, I probably got that job. I'm very thrilled. Hope you liked my little story.

See you soon,
Nick

No comments: