20 August 2008

Goodbye USA - Beginning of Summer 2008

Hi everyone
 
Well, the last time I left you, I had just graduated from college and was looking back on my senior year. Well, now I'm writing from London, England. In fact, I'm using my computer at Bovis Lend Lease where I'm currently doing temporary admin work. Yeah, 3 months after graduation and here I am. In the human resources department of the UK branch of a multinational company doing work in Microsoft excel and improving my "words per minute". Exciting. Well, it sort of is. Let me explain.
 
It all started after graduation...
Unlike 1960's Hollywood graduates played by Dustin Hoffman or even normal graduates, my summer after my final year at college wasn't spent lying in a pool or being seduced by 40 year old women. Instead, I did a couple things...
 
First, there was New York. Since I've been telling myself that I'm applying to NYU and Columbia for grad school for the past 3 years, I decided that it might be smart to visit the schools. So, the week after I moved home, I flew to La Guardia with my mother and spent 3 days in Manhattan. It was a really great couple of days. I able to see both schools and meet with the admissions directions from each. Both were very professional, informative and surprisingly impressive. Columbia is epic. Huge stone pillars, statues, gardens, fountains, basically ancient Rome. Aside from that it has one of the most respect and up-and-coming film programs of the past 20 years. NYU was equally as impressive, but completely different. There is no campus, just a bunch of buildings in the heart of Greenwich Village. And, unlike the warm reception of Columbia where everyone was smiles, NYU was moody, cool and very aware that they have the best film department on the planet. But, I didn't let it get to me... I think. What did I do to combat the onslaught of cool? Well, I sat in their designated reception area, (which was in the middle of everything, allowing any staff or UPS guys to spy on nervous prospective students like myself) got comfortable, took out my leather-bound sketch pad... and drew. It's the first thing I could think of... and the most natural. When nerves take over, reach for the pad and pen. That's what I do. And it worked. The admissions director walked up moments later to inform me that the women I was meant to meet is unavailable and he would be handling me instead. What he didn't tell me is that he was the director of admissions and she was not. SO I got an upgrade without even knowing. The meeting went well. I asked my 3 questions and he went on and on about how my work has to "speak to him" blah blah blah. I pretended that I didn't have a clue... even though I've been on his website enough times to do all the talking. But it was a success. And overall, I felt all the more happy to be applying to these great schools.

During the time that I wasn't seeing the schools, mom and I got to see some really cool areas of New York. We spent the most time in Hell's Kitchen, actually. A really cool area just west of times square with great restaurants, not a lot of tourists and cool cafes. I also met my friend Nick from high school one morning for coffee in that same area. He's an actor and yoga instructor by day, waiter by night... truly living life. I love it. (I guess I'm doing that too... only in an office in London.) But New York was great. It was overwhelming at all. In fact, there were very few moments where I was like "wow this is cool"... The whole experience just sort of felt comfortable.... much like I feel in London. It just fits. And I guess that's what you want, right? To fit. You don't want to be so infatuated by where you live that every day walking to work is being 10 and making that first memorable walk through the gates of Disneyland... You'd go through an awful lot of mickey mouse underwear... 
 
Second, there was home.
Being home was great. In fact, it was too great. Why is it that if you know you're leaving a place in a short while, this place becomes better than it ever has been ever before? Every moment spent there is more enjoyable than any other time you can remember being there and the times you spend with the people there are just perfect... Well, that wasn't the case at all... Just kidding. I joke because it kind of was. Not only was I riding the high of just graduating, having my senior art show and going to New York, but I was showered with attention from family members, friends and even random business associates. I know I know, maybe you all do that anyway and I've just been too blind to see it until now... I know. Or it might be true. Well, whatever the case may be, it was really hard leaving. After spending so many months looking forward to moving back to London.... when the moment arrives, you don't wanna go. Cold feet? Maybe. Or as Elvis would put it, I don't have a wooden heart. Thanks guys.

-Nick
 
Next up: London

No comments: