27 November 2006

Amsterdam

So, I know what you're thinking... and, well, it's true. Yes, Amsterdam is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen! What else could you have possibly been thinking???
It was a great weekend. Well, mostly. First off... thank God, Zues, Buddha, everyone, because my travels this time were incredibly PAIN-FREE! I'm very happy to say that I, not once, ran into trouble getting there or coming back...
Among many of the things I did and saw this weekend, the one thing I know I did for sure was turn 21. yea. woo hoo. hip hip hurrary, what have you... What's the big deal? I spent my 21st birthday in a gorgeous town, seeing the Modern Art Museum, the Anne Frank House, eating Argentinian Steak and going to bed early... who else can say that??? Who else has EVER had some very necessary peace and quiet on their 21st birthday? I sure can't think of anyone. Most people get incredibly trashed and not even remember what happened while ruining 6 or 7 drinks because of all the sick. Gross. Not me! I remember the city and everything that was in it! And for that reason, I had a fabulous time.

In a city who's reputation is stained by college, pot-smoking frat boys and films that only promote its stigma, I didn't know what to expect from this town. I just knew it would be a cool place to turn 21. Much to my surprise, I fell in love with most parts of this town. The city structure is a wonder on its own. It's a labyrinth of canals, winding streets and well preserved flats and buildings. The streets have 3 sections. The tram section in the middle, the car sections further out and then, the bicycle lanes. Oh, the Bikes! The ratio of bikes to cars is staggering! It's something like 2:1 Bikes:Cars. I loved it. They are everywhere! And they are relentless! I was meaning to rent one, but I thought I might not be able to keep up with the pace of those really tall, really good-looking Dutch. Yeah, they are great as well. The locals are amazing. Kind, laid back, gentle and sophisticated. I can't say enough about how much I loved the locals. They were a delight to meet.
So, I had a nice trip and do hope that the tarnished view of Amsterdam won't dissuade you from visiting such a cool city!

Also, if you do enjoy soft drugs... They are legal here. There are hundreds of "Coffeshops" that offer sales and places to consume them. What was interesting to me was how they didn't stick out like sore thumbs like I thought they might. The soft-drug world and the outisde/sober world seemed to be very much in harmony. Well, I guess the pot-smokers just stay out of peoples' hair... and the plant attracts thousands of tourists each year... So they're not complaining!

But, here are some pics from my trip!








No comments: