30 January 2011

PLEASE HOLD

Hey guys,

Here's the 4th film that I made in 2010. It was my first semester project for my 2nd year at Chapman University film school. They call them "cycle" films here, as we are designated 1 of 3 weekends throughout the semester and all the crews and equipment cycle through each of them. There's one each semester of 2nd year, so this was my 1st cycle. And for 1st cycle you have to direct someone else's script. A pool of scripts are released late 1st year and you pitch to writers and they select you. It was a pretty stressful period, as I have a very talented class and all of us are vying for the best scripts and the best crew members. But I came out alive and the script I chose was called "Please Hold". We then developed the script over the summer with the script and a faculty member.

The film is a dark, Kafka-esque story about the top associate at a suicide assistance clinic facing the challenge of his career when his wife comes in for the service. It was a really interesting challenge for me, as it called for 11 actors, had a tone that I never tried before and had a polarizing subject matter. But the biggest challenge of all for me, was the fact that this film took place smack dab in the middle of my behind the scenes videography gig on Judy Moody. So I had to juggle that huge task on top of making a the most advanced production I have ever made. But in the end, we were able to produce something incredibly slick and professional, entertaining and a little endearing. Another stepping stone.

Have a look! This one has a password as well: brightside

Please Hold from Please Hold on Vimeo.

No comments: