13 September 2006

Back in London

Oi,

After a delayed flight, a long long long bus ride to somewhere not really close to my hostel in Central London, and another "Encounter", I made it.

EasyJet my ass. excuse my French, but it wasn't an "Easy" flight at all. Delays, delays and more delays. Actually is quite an enjoyable ride, save the super pricey food. But it just took forever... and we actually used an "Air Finland" plane. which was kind of cool.

So I made a reservation at a nice little hostel in Camden Town, which is No. London, very nice area. The bus dropped me off somewhere near West London, not so nice distance, but another nice area. So, city bus it was to be for me. Oh, wait. I forgot I am incapable of taking London busses. My Americanism or Tourist phobia disallow me riding in the right direction... Who knows. SO I start walking. and walking. It's pouring rain, typical London. Always at the perfect time. Walking walking walking, pouring, soaking wet. Yeah, I should really stop and ask someone. I set my soggy map against a brick wall and investigate the map. After some time, I hear a thick British accent from across the street... "I say sir, are you alright? Can I be of some assistance?" I wheel around in my soggy Converse All Stars and smile. I don't know if it was the accent or the incredibly ridiculous kindness that got me, but I had to grin all the way across the street.

I get there and it's a gentleman of about 50 something. He's wearing a full suit and tie, and get this, a MONOCLE! He was wearing glasses, but he had the monocle in his hand like a true Englishman. "I simply couldn't bear watching you suffer out there sir. It's so frightfully cold!"
I reply, "Well, thank you sir. I really appreciate it."

We begin to talk. I tell him where my hostel is and he informs me that it is not on the map I have been pouring over... Sweet. I ask him about which bus I should take. He wouldn't stand for that. No sir! Much to my surprise, he simply states, "Here's what I'm going to do. You hail a taxi, young man. You seem to be much more athletic than I am. Then, I will pay your way."

"What? No no no sir. I can pay my own way, thank you."

"I insist. I insist. It's the least I can do. I have been in your position before. It's no fun. Sometimes you must allow others to step in."

speechless, I agree. We next begin to talk about some various housing situations he has to offer... A free place to stay if the guest would cook 4 meals a week. Hell of a deal I'd say. I say I'll ask around for him. I also tell him about Gumtree.com. He hasn't heard of it, but I explain how it's perfect for his situation. So, he did get something out of our meeting after all!

So the taxi comes, he informs me it's too wet to talk. He gives me his card, pays the driver, opens my door, bids adieu, I thank him again, and with a thrust of the cabbie, we're off and my English Savior fades away into the distance.

What a way to start my semester. If this is what true English character is all about, I can't wait to spend more time among such excellent and admirable people.

Well, that's all for today. I'm going to see a show tonight. Not sure which one, but I want to be entertained, badly. I'm thinking about Billy Elliot. K, hope your well.

Cheers.

No comments: