12 September 2006

Santorini ---> Athens

Yasu,

Yesterday was a bloody nightmare. A crimson blood bath of a nightmare... Like a Nightmare on bloody Elm Street kind of a nightmare. It was no fun. But, before I tell you, I'd like to take a moment to say what a wonderful time I had in Santorini...

My time spent on the beautiful island of Santorini was absolutely great. I slept at this amazing little hotel for only 20 Euro/night. It was about a 5 minutes walk to the black, volcanic sand beach. I spent my first day on the beach reading and sleeping. I was served CocaCola Light by an adorable Greek maiden. (Which, I must say, is very very rare. The women here are pretty hideous...) But, the day at the beach was fun. More topless women, and this time they weren't over 70. So that was nice. That night I ate some really good pizza right on the beach front and watched a bright Orange Moon rise over the Mediterranean. That was also nice. I went back to my humble little Greek hotel and slept like a baby.

Without an alarm clock, I arose to greet the day. I ate bread, toast and some other bread product for breakfast. It was delish, but bready. Then, I walked towards my destination: Santorini All Day Boat Trip. O yeah. and only 16 Euro! So I get there and wait for the bus with a bunch of Aussi's... They, by the way, are inescapable. If they carried a contagious disease, the whole of Europe would be infected. We board the bus for the port. 15 minutes of cliffs and windy roads later, we get to the port. There, shimmering like the mighty Black Pearl is our Vessle: The Albatross.

The Aussi's and I board our ship and wait for the orders. After our Last of the Mohican's' Daniel Day Louis-tour guide gives us the daily low-down in every European language, we set sail... or motor. Our first stop is the island just south of Santorini's main island. It is an active volcano, but hasn't erupted in 50 years... that's reassuring. We get off, pay 2 Euro and climb on the mountain. As we climb, I couldn't help but think of Frodo and Sam climbing Mt. Doom in Mordor. If only the Great Eye was on the lookout for us and the skies weren't perfectly blue and cloud-free... then I could have related a bit more. But, it was very cool. In several spots on the way up, holes in the ground can be seen emitting steam. On the very top their were actually volcanic grills to roast your Gyro with Mother Earth. On top the 'Cano, You could see the entire Island. It was absolutely Breathtaking. You could see that the island was indeed ring-shaped. Supposedly, 3000 years ago, this island was one of the largest volcanoes in the world. In 1350 BC or something, the island exploded. Traces of its rock have been found in both Greenland and California. After the explosion, the sea water rushed into the void that the explosion has created (or Caldera), leaving simply a horseshoe shaped ring around the caldera. That is how it appears today. So you can imagine the dramatic cliffs and amazing landscape. Beautiful place.

Next, we set sail to the hot springs of other volcanic island. The ship anchored about 200 meters from land and Daniel Day said that anyone who wishes to swim in the springs, must jump off now. So, about 15 of 200 jumped off The Albatross into the Cretan Sea, swam 200 meters and reached the spring. The spring was bright orange. Sick. Luckily I was wearing my white swim trunks. Awesome. I get back to the ship and everyone is laughing at me. The Aussi's and everyone. I look down and my white shorts have turned the color of an Oompa Loompa's face.

The next stop is another island. This one isn't volcanic. We have lunch at a little seafood joint, then lay out in the sun for a bit. I skip rocks on the ocean and get an icecream. It was such a gorgeous little village. Then we're off again.

Our next and final stop is back to the Mainland of Santorini, but it's northernmost town of Oio or Aia, I'm not sure which one. This is a village perched on top of rugged cliff. Every building is one-story and colored a bright white. It almost has the appearance of a snow-covered mountain. We get to the small port, say goodbye to our Fur-trading, red-coat slaying, half-Indian, friendly, multi-lingual tour guide and step foot on Santorini once again.

I start walking, most of the time backwards, because every way I look I am in awe of the natural beauty. I get up a small hill and realize that I has a crucial decision to make. Dare I walk up the rugged cliff or... do I pay 4 Euro for a DONKEY. Yes, a donkey. Obviously, I choose to fork over the 4 E and ride the beast up the mountain. This wasn't a smart decision. Why? Ah, because I almost died. Yeah, the scruffy Greek Donkey-Wrangers failed to tell us any safety precautions or techniques on our journey... My Donkey and it's enemy ahead of me were the competitive ones. My Aussi friend and I had to give into the nature of the beast and witness raw, animal competition. They cared not for my sandled feet or, bare legs, or the 2 foot ledge that separated life (the trail) and death (the 400 foot drop down the cliff). My sweaty grip would not have been enough if the donkey ahead of me had given a swift hip-check to mine. But, the Aussi'd Donkey ahead of me hasn't heard of Ice Hockey, so he wouldn't know how to Hip Check. So I survived... but barely.

I reach the top of the mountain and the site that was once great, got better. The sea was far below, the white buildings were slightly orange in the setting sun and I was happy to be alive. I meandered a bit and found a nice little cafe. I popped in, sat down, took a picture, look at the prices, vomited and left. I then found a little square in which to sit and watch the sunset. Some frazzled British Girls were in search of place to watch, I told them about the cafe and another that I was thinking of. They soon replied, in British, "Well I suppose you should join us then?" Of course, my voice cracked, i got red in the face and replied, "duuuuuh, ahhhhh, yeah,,, ahhh, i dunnoooo, sure" just kidding. I was almost as smooth as our tour guide. But, I didn't have flowing black locks. The girls and I grabbed a couple Mythos Beers and sat in the little square. They were from Newcastle, England. A northern city on the east coast. We talked of Britain and the US, school and how this sunset was weak. I told them of my plans for studying in London and residing in Harrow. I also told them that I thought Harrow was a bit Dodgy. Soon into this conversation, a bloke behind me cuts in, "Ay mate, I grew up in Harrow...and it's not the least bit dodgy. Don't worry mate." Blimey! What are the odds huh? So, we watched the sunset, caught a bus back to the girls' town and had some dinner had a few drinks and walked around Fira. We exchanged e-mails and they are probably going to read this blog... so I better watch what I say about 'em. I then said goodbye, caught a bus home, and slept once again in my Greek Palace.

The following day, yesterday, I got up with an alarm! I bought one in Fira with the English girls. I packed, went outside, ready to check out... but where is the owner?? Desperately searching high and low and I find no one. Much to my luck, a pair of beautiful Aussi women come to my aid. We team up and eventually find this Rogue Concierge. I catch the bus to the port with some more Aussi's, get my ticket, and board the Ginormous Vessle... without Cash. Merde! Nothing. I search for an ATM. Nothing. They only accept cash on board. I look through my bags... One Corte D'or chocolate bar and Two "Pick Ups" from Belgium. This will be my only food for the next 12 hours! Yes, my friends. I pulled a Gandhi. I didn't eat yesterday until 10:30 pm. I left my hotel at 8:45... without a breakfast. So, whats a boy to do? Cry? Beg? No sir. I slept most of it off and used the little food that I had to last me the 12 hours. It wasn't easy.... in fact it was one of the most miserable experience of the trip. But, I have a story don't I? Isn't it funny that my demise is your entertainment? Well, not really, I enjoy this as much as you do. And, looking back, I laugh...

But I got into Pireas, Athens' port. I start walking. nothing's open. No internet cafe's, no restaurants, nothing. I continue walking. I find a German-titled, Octoberfest themed restaurant... So I enter. They couldn't be more friendly. There are 6 staff members sitting there, waiting for me to enter. I'm the only customer. I sit down order my chicken sandwich... wait.....forever... then it arrives, the steaming heap of glorious sustenance. Food has never looked so good! I indulge and love it. It could have been baby food and I would have been happy. But it was good. I pay the waitress... then ask for directions to the train station. She tells me and i say ok. But, apparently, she saw the weary and fatigue in my American eyes. She then say, "No Problem, I take you there." WHAT? "Yeah, sir it's no problem, I was just in Malta and loved the way people treated me. I treat you the same. No talking! Come!" ... Ah, scary. So I follow this women outside. She takes me to her Motor Bike and climbs on. I get on the back and hold on for dear life. She then says, "I good driver. I think... hahahahaha" Hehehe.... yeah..... with a kick of the starter and twist of the steering wheel, we're off. As I'm riding on the back of this MoPed, buzzing through Pireas, I can't help but think of the movie Amelie. This is quite possibly the coolest thing that has happened to me thus far... and maybe even ever. I mean, I didn't know this girl... yet, she was so willing to dangerously transport my tired carcass across Pireas, Greece. When she dropped me off, all I could think to say was, "I don't know how I can thank you enough...wow" then she simply replies, "I need no thanks. have a safe trip!" And with that, the ghost of a girl speeds off into the night... and I didn't even tip her.

So, I metro it up to Athens, find a hostel, go there... get inside after miles of walking through dark alleys and what does the concierge tell me. "We're booked solid sir." Ah. aha, ok. "Sir, I'll take anything." I say.. "I'll sleep on your floor if you let me."
"Sure. We have an extra mattress. You find it upstairs, passport please." He holds out his hand. "Oh, nice, ok, perfect," I give him my passport and head upstairs. I then find my completely filthy mattress soaked in Zues-Knows-What. But, luckily, once again, I brought my sleeping bag. So I bagged it for the night on a mess even Mr. Clean or the Oxy Clean guy couldn't handle. What a day, huh. Oh, it's been quite like that every day here for your very own "Culture Vulture".

Thanks for reading.

Oh, Hannah, this is for you. On my way out of the port, I passed a huge group of old people waiting to get on their guided tour bus. They were all cute and everything, you would have loved every second of it.
...Oh, and I almost forgot. They were French.

No comments: