07 September 2006

Greece!

Well hello, hello my friends,

Your very own Waldo is here to let you know where he is. This time, I am reporting from the fabulous Greek Isle of Crete. The land of blue waters, mountainous landscape, beautiful port towns and friendly people. It's paradise my friends! But, as is everything in life, these rewards only come to those who take great risks head-on. Or, maybe just me. Well, my story begins in Athens...(insert cheesy citar music and wavey screen)

Yesterday, or so it seems, many many days ago, I was in the ancient city of Athens, Greece. There I saw the Acropolis, the Temple of Zeus and the Archeological Museum. All of which were very very interesting and amazing. However, each stop was a test of heat and endurance... From the Greek climate and the Greek people... Athens is a very very busy and loud town unfortunately. But, I am glad to have seen such marvels.

After missing several buses and barely making it back to the travel agency to collect my bag after already making a $$$ decision on not staying in Athens that night... wooof. I took the train to Pireas, a major sea port in Greek. There I approach the docks where I am looking for my humble little ferry to Crete... Right. I get there and the Titanic's yellow and blue sister is waiting for me. What?? I only paid 30 E for the ticket? And it's a 10 hour trip... I was expecting "The Minnow"! But, after riding the escalator and being pointed to my destination... I realised just why I only paid 30 E... I had no room. It was the open air for me!

Luckily the Mediterranean nights are unbelievably beautiful... sleeping on the bench with my sleeping bag was actually enjoyable.

I awake at 6:30 to sound of our captain. I open my eyes to the the sun rising over the sea and this spectacular island looming just before my eyes! We've made it! I depart and wander about the sea port with no goal in mind... rubbing my eyes and pretending not to be lost. After 2 hours of guessing, worrying, asking non-english speaking Greeks for directions and 3 cups of coffee... I realize that I'm not in the right city. Woops. But, not woops. It's easy to assume I was in Chania... Because they told me I was... Not that I would arrive 10 km from Chania! Well... I start walking... and walking... trying to talk to more and more greeks....none of them knowing English... I'm passing tiny farms with family gardening, old people dressed in black carrying their groceries... It's quite the sight! Then I see a bus stop... thank Zeus! I wait, attempt to speak to another Greek and then get on the bus.... without a ticket... So i hold out a handful of coins for the driver and he picks what is necessary.. no biggie....right? well, yeah, i guess so. before I know it I'm in Chania!But, I didn't know it... yet. I just got off because it seemed like the right distance... But, I got off... and started walking... backpack and all...

2 hours later I find myself in the tourist information center drenched with sweat... he is nice enough to show me where to go and I go... I follow his directions and walk in a little sea port town... and O My Lord it is beautiful... right out of a romantic movie starring Matthew McCannahey... A little harbor town lined with tiny shops, restaurants and street performers. It's so great... and totally worth all the effort. It's now about noon. I then find a cheap hotel, shower, and go to the beach. The day has been really pretty great after all. Now, on the the pictures!

Oh, and Greek guys really scare me. They always seem to be stalking you... luckily Chania is a tourist town... I don't wanna mess with 7 Greek Olympians...

No comments: