15 September 2006

Solo London V. 2

Oi lads,

I'm going to make it quick this time. I have 3 things to talk about. 3 reviews. As you know, I'm back in London killing time (and mostly £££) until I can move into my flat... which is tomorrow. I'm ready, believe me. But, I've been here seeing some sights, buying a butt-tonne of things off of Bond and Regent Street (it's their 5th Ave. NYC). I've also been indulging in some of the finer things that London has to offer, musical theatre. Over the past 3 days I've seen 2 shows and one film.... and get this, this is really rare, they, all 3!, blew me away. Yeah, and in Completely different ways. Now you probably wanna hear what I saw, yeah? Grab a Stella and sit back mates. this is what I saw.

Billy Elliot, Little Miss Sunshine and Avenue Q.

Billy Elliot:
Musical Version of the successful film version from a few years back. This is hailed as one of Britain's greatest modern shows by many many critics worldwide. And it doesn't let down. not one bit. I laughed, I had the chills and I cheered for this truly entertaining and uplifting show. I loved the story, the acting, the dancing and the power of this performance. Kate, if you're reading this, I thought of you the entire time. Well, for obvious reasons... it's about Ballet. but, beyond that it's a terrifically done show and holds many elements I know you've said you bring into dance. So, if you haven't seen it, please do. The actual dancing may not be the Russian Ballet, but that's not the point. It's about a mining town run by tough guys and how this 12 year old kid dancing changed their lives forever. I can't say enough about it. My only complaint is that I had tickets in the very very front row, so my vision was slightly strained. But, other than that, excellent.




Little Miss Sunshine:
A new indie film about a dysfunctional family. Drama, comedy, great music, great shots, well acted. The story is very cliche and predictable, but it is done so well and the characters are so compelling that it is disregarded almost entirely. The filmmakers clearly had fun making this and their joy shines through. If you see my name on the silver screen one day, it will be to a film of similar merit and stature. Loved it. I'm not sure what America thinks about it, but Britain freakin' loves it. Anyway, I don't think it's playing in the US anymore, since the films here are several months later than yours. But, see it regardless! Plus, its got the best poster art this year.










Avenue Q:
This was another spur of the moment hit-up. I grabbed the tickets at the box office for £20 and sat in a £60 section. Very nice. It would have been worth the 60... It's a musical comedy featuring actors and puppets. The puppets are operated and performed by people who are in clear view. They sing and speak along with the movements of the puppet. At first it was a little distracting, but, being able to see the actors expressions added to its effect. I haven't laughed this hard in a very long time. It was the funniest show I've seen since "The Producers" and the funniest act since "Triple Espresso". It's racist, vulgar, obscene, but ultimately completely honest. That's why it works. It's sooooo wrong at moments, but you just have to laugh cuz it's so true. But that's comedy right? Well, if so, then they've mastered it. I loved every second. The music is actually terrific and they laughs don't stop. But I can't say any more, cuz you should see it too. It's also in America. So book now!

So, that's all for now. Hope you are well, well, well indeed. Have a bloody brilliant day.

Cheers

No comments: